Terrapin Consulting provides the following services:
- Project Management
- CIO and Project Management Office Consulting
Terrapin Consulting’s approach is to use standard methodologies such as those developed by PMI or the Scrum Alliance. This ensures an easy transition of knowledge between our clients and us. We are experienced in both waterfall and iterative software development methodologies.
We bring a blend of both business acumen and technical skills. In today’s business environment most business problems require a technical solution. We excel at translating business requirements into technical specifications as well as managing the technical work and providing status to business executives.
Terrapin Consulting provides project management services, including:
- On-site project management using standard methodologies
- Business analysis and requirements development
- System or source selection
- Project planning
- Project reviews
- Facilitating post-project lessons learned
CIO and Project Management Office Consulting
CIOs and IT departments have moved far beyond just providing computers and email to employees. Companies need IT to enable them to grow revenue, manage expenses and to become more agile and innovative. Unfortunately, too many IT projects don’t support the needs of today’s organizations. Some projects, even if they achieve the scope within the time and money parameters, and thus successful from a project standpoint, do not provide business value. They fail to achieve the business goals used to justify the project.
Terrapin Consulting provides an assessment of the strategic alignment between the in-process projects and the goals of the organization. We’ll provide feedback to senior leadership on the likelihood of achieving the goals with the current projects. This process frequently results in terminating some projects that no longer support the business strategy, which frees up resources to pursue higher value-add projects.
After ensuring strategic alignment, we provide training, tools and templates to ensure projects are managed correctly. This may include establishing, or revising, a project management office (PMO) or it may simply be a set of policies and procedures to increase project performance.
Terrapin Consulting provides training to ensure an organization can continue to excel after the consultants leave. These courses were developed while Terrapin’s principal was on the faculty of the Stevens Institute of Technology. In conjunction with other faculty members, these courses were developed with scientific rigor and take into account the appropriate pedagogy for teaching adults.
We have experience teaching at all levels of an organization. We have taught project management and process improvement courses at the following companies:
- ITT Exelis
- CentraState Medical Center
- Hoboken Medical Center
- Forrest Labs
Terrapin’s two main courses are:
- Project Management – a 35-hour course designed to provide a thorough understanding of the basic principles of project management and based on the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK)
- Business Process Management – a 16-hour course that teaches how to map business processes using the Business Process Model and Notation (BPMN) standard as well popular business process improvement techniques such as business process engineering and Six Sigma
Both of these courses can be customized to meet an organization’s needs.